Some Statistics on MLA Candidates in Mizoram: I have done a bit of statistical survey on the MLA candidates, I have included only Congress Party, ZNP and MDA (MNF+MDF+MPC Alliance) and excluded other parties like BJP and NCP have negligible effect in Politics of Mizoram.
Some of the highlights:
- Age: The Average age of the candidates is 53.4 years with ZNP having the youngest average age of candidates at 50.67 and Congress Party having the oldest average candidates at 56.17 years. In 2008, Congress Party had the youngest average age of candidates and won the election.
- Wealth : 52% of the candidates have assets of 1 crore or more. Congress party with 24 Crorepati's has the most number of crorepati's followed by MNF party with 23 crorepati's and ZNP with only 14. Mr K Sangthuama with assets of over 25 Crores is the richest candidates. With most of the candidates not having PAN Card, it is possible that some of the candidates may have more assets than reported in affidavit.
- Education: 80% of the overall candidates are Graduates, 13% PU and 8% who have studied upto 10th. While Education is a great parameter for selection of a candidate. Congress party have a dynamic home minister who have studied upto 10th, a good sports minister who has studied only upto PU. The MNF Party has the most well qualified candidates with 10% of Candidates who have completed Phd, 30% Post Graduates and 45% Graduates and just 15% upto PU Level, followed by Congress party with 3% Phd, 28 % Post graduates and 53% Graduates, it also has 10% of candidates with educational qualification of only 10th and below. ZNP has the least qualified candidates with 14% of candidates having completed education upto 10th and below, Pre University 16% , Gruaduates 49% and only 22% Post graduates with no Doctorates. In 2008, the Congress party with the most well qualified candidates won the Election.
- Please Note: While Age, Wealth and Education may not be factors for winning an Election, it must definitely be one of the factors for selection of candidates. With regards to Age, it is desirable to have young energetic leadership sprinkled with experience to have new ideas and thinking into the administration. I also noticed that a lot of candidates who do not have very high educational qualification were also candidates, they also were quite wealthy, hence it can be assumed that Wealth is an important factor in Selection. With Regards to Education, MDA has come out with very well qualified candidates with a few of them having completed even upto their Phd level. In the Previous election, MNF party had the most candidates who did not even complete matriculation and now they have come up with very well qualified candidates, hence it can be assumed that it could be one of the important factors for candidate selection. Also, if you look at developed countries, they tend to have very well qualified leaders, for more on this issue, please read my post on Does Educational Qualification Matter in the Mizoram Assembly Elections? Another very important factor for selection in a Christian State like Mizoram is standing in the Church. One of the Political parties had even mentioned the fact that 6-7 of their Candidates were Church Elders and proudly mentioned that in front of their name. With a majority of the people being regular church going population, Leaders and elders in Church wield immense influence in society and could sway votes, While I do not deny the influence, I have avoided putting up church standings of the candidates due to lack of data.
- Criminal Cases : There are only 3 candidates with criminal cases against them. Let's hope that the elected candidates at least do not have criminal cases against them.