The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy CenterNational Air and Space Museum (NASM) is the annex of Smithsonian Institution which holds the largest collection of historic aircraft and spacecraft in the world. There is a concrete road leading from the Dulles airport to the Museum. To use a popular american word " It's just awesome", a portion of the Movie, Transformer, Revenge of the fallen was shot here.
The video of the movie shot.
1. The Hall was HUGE with hundreds of aircrafts. The Virgin Atlantic aircraft at the first pic is
the aircraft that flew around the world in 2005.
2.This jet aircraft aka the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird is actually bigger than it is, an looks huge and powerful. Maximum speed Mach 3.2, weight 1,600 kg & 107 ft long. Flying at the height of 85,000 feet, it was used for taking photographs of enemy positions. It took it's first flight in 1964.
Space Shuttle Enterprise - is named after the Starship Enterprise after the Movie Star Trek. It is about 58 feet tall, 128 feet long & about 100,000 kg. First flight was in 1977.
3.The Enola Gray B-29 Fortress is Deadliest aircraft that has flown in the world because it is this aircraft that dropped the atomic bomb "little boy"(4,000 kg) over Horishima & killed approximately 140,000 people. This aeroplane was to a certain extent helped to end world war 2. It weigh's 54,000 kg, 29 feet high and 99 feet long. It's maximum speed is 350 km/hr. It was introduced way back in 1944.
4.The Airfrance Concorde was the last Supersonic jet aircraft, It was introduced in 1976 and retired in 1973. The concorde is 202 feet long & 40 feet high with a carrying capacity of upto 120 passenger. Due to it's long length, I could not take the full photograph, The concorde was withdrawn from service due to it's high maintanence cost, sonic boom near airports and frequent crashes. My sister Sangi & her Son Brayden who took me to the Museum, they are in the foreground.
5. The Northrop P-61 aka Blackwidow was in service from 1944-1954. It is the first US Military aircraft designed for night interception & radar use.
6. Space Capsule
6.The Top aircraft is Boing 367-80, one of the first passenger jet aircraft, In service from 1954 to 1969.
The Aircraft below is the Lockheed constellation, in service 1943 to 1958.
7. Helicopters used in Vietnam War
Aircraft used for war during World War-2
8. The Dornier Do 335 used by Hitler & his army in WW-2
9. Arado Ar -234 - aka the Blitz is the World's first bomber used by the Luftwaffe in WW-2. Basically used for carrying upto 1,500 of bomb. Height 14ft & 41 feet long with maximum speed of 742 km/hr.
Jet's used in Vietnam & the Gulf War