Friday, November 26, 2010

Long Beach, California

I arrived on the beautiful city of LA on Monday and was recieved by my Aunt & Uncle in LAX, LA Airport.
One amusing incident I would like to share with visitors of my blog is that, from where I come from (India), I am often asked where is my Native place of Origin because of my mongoloid features & even asked to pay foreigner fees for tourist attractions, but here on the way to LA, the airport officials seemed surprised that I had an Indian passport and the passengers whom I had conversations with assumed that I was returning home to LA as there are a lot of Asians in California. Asian American make about 10 % of the population of LA with the Majority of them in order of population being Filipino, Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese and Other asians. My cousins told me that there is even an asian rap group based in LA called the " Far East Movement", find below the famous song called" Like a G6", the song is quite popular because I hear it being played in the radio and malls both in the East coast & the west Coast.





DSCN4216
DSCN4217
The Skyline of Long Beach, Long beach is about 32 km's from downtown LA, it has a population of around 500,000 people. Long beach is within Los Angeles County.

DSCN4203
DSCN4209
DSCN4206
DSCN4207
DSCN4219


DSCN4237
The RMS Queen Mary is a 1936 Ocean Liner which is bigger & longer than the Titanic. It is famous for being the fastest Ocean liner from 1936 to1952. It was purchased by the City of Long Beach in 1967 for use as a martitime Museum & Hotel.
Comparision of Queen Mary Vs the Titanic according to Queen Mary:

Overall Length
* QUEEN MARY: 1,019.5 ft. (310.74 m.)
* Titanic: 882.9 ft.
Gross Tonnage
* QUEEN MARY: 81,237 gross tons
* Titanic: 46,329 gross tons
Portholes
* QUEEN MARY: Over 2,000
* Titanic: 2,000
Rivets
* QUEEN MARY: Over 10 million
* Titanic: 3 million
Horsepower
* QUEEN MARY: 160,000
* Titanic: 46,000
Cruising Speed
* QUEEN MARY: 28.5 knots
* Titanic: 21 knots


DSCN4228
This old Lady who told me that she was among the passenger to New York from Southampton.

DSCN4199
DSCN4222 The Port of Long Beach is the 2nd biggest container port in the US. It was started in 1911 and handles about 87 million metric tons of goods.

DSCN4192

Korean Bell of Friendship is a massive bronze bell housed in a stone pavilion in Angel's Gate Park, in the San Pedro neighborhood of Los Angeles, California.

DSCN4196
With Pa Chungtea & Cousins Maria & Zaila.


3 comments:

  1. Tluanga those are some Amazing Pictures Bro..
    Hope You'r having Fun.
    See ya when you get Back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ka rin ai daihin i cham rei a, kal tak vekah, fang nghek teh ang, i ti ni maw? I thlalakte leh i thu tarlante a hmuhnawmin a bengvarthlak thin e...thingtlang lama kan chhungte hrilh ve atan a itawm hlawm hle mai...damtakin ilo kir leh dawn nia...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pics are beautiful . . . . I see you are having a good time . . . .

    ReplyDelete