Visiting from India, Here are a few observations of American Traffic Versus Indian Traffic
1. People follow rules, that includes putting on seat belts, baby seats, and obeying the traffic signals, people did not jump traffic signal even if there was no traffic coming the other way, whereas in India, people tend to start driving even before the yellow signal is turned on, and they definitely jump traffic if there is no oncoming traffic.
2. Politeness - people actually wait for the other car to pass before crossing a turn, they give high priority to pedesterians whereas in India there is a fight among the drivers to overtake the other car even after a signal has been given to take a turn, pedesterians are certainly not a priority with hardly a side walk, as sidewalks are encroached by hawkers. There is very less honking of vehicles unlike India.
3. No Animals on the road- In india you find the holy cow sitting in the middle of the road, the buffalow heard on the side of the road, the elephant, the camel and the bullockcart along with the traffic, even if you have a high end car like the Mercedes or Lexus in India, you still have to tail behind the slow cart.
4. Very less dents to be seen on the cars.
5. Neatness - No litter to be seen on the road, people do not throw litter from the vehicles or on the road side, the road sides have beautiful mowed grass throughout the highway.
6. Well planned roads - the roads seem to be made of steel, I wonder if the Road Engineers are not as corrupt as the Engineers and Contractors in India, because the roads are huge - some have 4 lanes one way, and 4 lanes the other way with no potholes. The road is well planned with exits, by pass and flyovers with No Buildings or Roads to be seen just besides the road, In India the Houses and buildings encroach on the Road, which makes me wonder if there are not such rules to prevent that or that the Government is either so inefficient or too corrupt.
7. Honesty - The people here try to follow traffic rules, pay tolls and do not try to bribe. I asked a few of my friends ( atleast half a dozen of them) who reside here and asked what happens to them if they get caught by the american cops, do they give chai pani (bribe) like India or they pay the fines. They told me that paying bribe is not an option and would get them into more trouble.
From the few observation that I have seen above, I would like to summarize that a Great Nation like America is at it's present level because of the Hard Work , Accountability and Honesty of it's Patriotic citizens who try to do their Work Honestly to the best Quality with regards to Road Construction and Law and Order, which I am sure would these qualities would be carried on to other fields too.
On the other hand, a developing country like India has lots of lesson to learn, It's The Corruption and inefficiency of the construction of the Commonwealth Games Venues, the A Raja Spectrum Telecom Scamm etc, the list is too long for this blog. With regards to Road construction, they try to build the road so that it's good enough only for 1 year till the next monsoon so that they get a contract to repair it the next year. With regards to law and order, and honest cop may not have much option but to follow orders from corrupt politicians which may not be to his conscience . Indians as a whole have a long way to go before it lets go of it's Me First Mentality, and not care of the rest of the community mentality, because unless the Community develops, and Individual cannot develop.
In India, in a majority of the houses, you have to remove your shoes to Enter a house, whereas you would not mind throwing your garbage outside the walls of your House. In America (USA), there are no compound walls between most houses, you have to throw your garbage in recycle and non recycle bin and put it before your house, you have to mow your lawn and keep your surroundings clean or else you are fined. This makes the whole country clean, if you go out of your house in India for a day, your shoes is dusty and your collar brown but in the US, your shoes does not become dusty because the whole society tries to be clean, you do not have to take off your shoes when you go to others house.
Unless all the people of India follow a few of these hard lessons from the developed countries, it will remain a developing country which will not be respected by any Country. It is difficult to be patriotic of a corrupt and inefficient country.